The man cave. The ultimate dream of many men and women here in the UK. So when you want to bring the pub home to you, but you haven’t room inside, why not take it into to your garden?
Whether that's turning your shed into a micro-pub or having an outdoor sports bar to invite friends to. Here are some golden garden pub ideas.
The Basics of DIY Garden Pubs
Making a garden bar can seem daunting and unless you have experience then we would always recommend either buying a ready-made building as the basis of your garden man cave or hiring a professional to build the garden bar bespoke to your requirements. That said if you are handy with a saw or bricks there are a few things to consider before embarking on this project.
First, think about the location of the bar. It should be close to the house so that guests can easily access it. If you have lots of outdoor space no one wants to get lost trying to make it out! The area should also be well-lit and have enough space for guests to move around, including the space directly outside the garden bar.
Next, consider the materials you'll need to build the bar. Here’s a quick rundown of what you could use if you’re doing it yourself.
Wood is a popular choice, but make sure it is weather-resistant and will not rot, alternatively there is composite wood, but this will definitely be more expensive. Finally you could choose brick, but this certainly requires more work and investment.
- UPVC windows and doors for added security.
- You'll also need screws and nails. A lot of those!
- Appropriate roofing, whether its EPDM rubber roofing, felt tiles, corrugated metal sheeting or traditional roofing tiles.
- Next its waterproof membrane for within the walls and here in the UK insulation is a must!
- You will need to consider its own fuse box, running from the mains of your home so cabling is important.
- Lighting and hearing solutions for dark or cold nights, which we have a few!
- Wifi (a must in this modern world) may need a wifi booster or more cabling if you want internet wired into your garden pub.
- Let’s not forget the power tools needed to save time and put the bar together.
If you’re still reading good! You haven’t been put off and you’re a step closer to your dream garden pub or man cave.
If you’re building or buying then hopefully this will give you some inspiration!
In the summer, people might want to have people come round for cocktails. If you’ve ever seen the Polynesian inspired Tiki bars (which actually first appeared in America if you ever wondered!) you’ll know they’re perfect for sitting outside with friends.
Here’s a few tips for creating the ideal tiki bar
- Wooden table and chairs are essential, maybe bamboo your tables and chairs, and add palm leaves for shelter. Even use shells for decoration.
- Stock up on supplies. You'll need rum, of course, as well as some tropical fruits like pineapple and mango. You can get pre-made mixes at your local liquor store, or make your own by finding recipes online.
- Decorate your tiki bar. This is where you can really let your creativity shine. String up some fairy lights, add some tiki torches, and find some fun tiki-themed decorations to really make your bar stand out like out tiki mugs.
- Make some delicious cocktails. Once you have your supplies, it's time to get mixin'! There are tons of great tiki cocktail recipes online, so you're sure to find something everyone will enjoy.
image: uk bamboo
If you're lucky enough to have a garden in the UK, why not turn it into your own personal tiki bar? It's the perfect place to enjoy a summer evening with friends, and you don't even have to leave home to do it!
Garden Shed Bar
image: Wayne Berry
For those of you who are just looking for something to help entertain in small numbers or only in the summer months then you could consider a walk-in shed bar for your garden. These can be typically called garden bars or shed bars, but they are easy to close up and open up and allow you to serve your guests from the comfort of your own stocked bar space!
This is normally a cost effective way to get a garden bar as they typically take up less space and can be bought off the shelf.
Here's a great example of a garden shed that was converted into a pub for only £500!
Here’s a useful guide for converting an existing potting shed into a shed bar.
Traditional British Pub
images: mymodernmetIf you're looking for a traditional pub in your garden, here are a few ideas to get you started. You’ll notice many have begun life as a garden building with slightly higher grade wood lap and stronger doors and windows than traditional garden buildings.
There are a few things to consider when creating a traditional garden pub. The position of your bar is important to maximise seating space
- Bar stools are a must to make it feel like a traditional pub as is bench seating.
- Neon bar lighting is also a key feature of these garden man caves.
- Additional lighting should be able to adjust to the mood so bright lights can give way to more cozy lighting for winter night drinks!
- You’ll need a funny bar sign
- If you have room pool tables and dartboards are essential additions
By following these steps, you'll be well on your way to creating a traditional pub in your home garden. Cheers!
Outdoor Garden Bar
image: pinterestLooking for an outdoor space that can double up as a bar. We have you covered. There are some amazing examples from people who have transformed garden areas into outdoor entertainment complete with bar!
Often these can be doubled up with a hot tub for extra luxurious gin o clocks!
Garden Sports Bar/Theme Bar
Typically the most expensive and largest of the garden bars. These need space to put in all the equipment and ‘things’ you need to build your ideal garden sports bar. Remember to think about how you’re going to get the pool table through the doors. Bi-folds are often popular for connecting garden sports bars with the garden itself.
image: greenretreatsSo there you have it. We hope we’ve give you some examples of amazing garden bars build right here in the UK.
Should you want your own garden pub building, we have a great selection here at the Mancave Superstore!